The Belgian Air Force
Yacht Club (Watersportkring van de Luchtmacht WSKLuM vzw) located in Nieuwpoort
(Belgium) extends a hearty welcome to visitors and yachtmen from Europe and from
all over the world. We have 450 secure berths easily accessible in all weather
and sea conditions and fully equipped with fresh water and individual 16A electricity
follow the blue line and the blue Visitor Welcome panels to our harbour master's
pontoon on the North side of the new basin "Novus Portus".
- Provide opportunity and facilities to participate in water
sports for members of the Belgian military, members of NATO, families,
friends, and guests.
- Promote and encourage participation in and the reality that,
Water Sports are for all, regardless of age, economic, or social status.
- Encourage and promote the development of water sports, and
the growth of tourism in the Western region of Belgium, and the city of
Club Charter WSKLuM
- A nonprofit organization chartered under Belgian Law and
Belgian Air Force guidance. Return proceeds from operations to water sport
- Member of
Yachting Federation and VYF
(Flemisch Yachting Federation), recognized Sport Organization
by the Flemish Ministry of Sport BLOSO.
- Co-Creator/organizer of the annual "NIEUWPOORT
WEEK" internationally recognized sailing festival.
- Along with the city of NIEUWPOORT and the sister clubs
K.Y.C.N. and V.V.W. form the supervising body for water sports and water
activities in the Nieuwpoort basin/yacht harbour.
- Co-Organizer of the
(North Sea Championship).
What have Flying and sailing in common
Marcel TERRASSON, Lieutenant-General
Pilot (ret) and "Past Commandant of the Belgian Tactical Air Force" ,
is since 1982 president of the " vzw Watersportkring van de Luchtmacht Nieuwpoort"
and from 1993 till
2000 President of the Royal Belgian Yachting Association.
|Max DE BAERE, Commander-Pilot (ret)
assists the President since the end of the seventies; he is responsible since
1984 for the operational management of the Club. Max De
Baere was an aircraft commander on Seaking Helicopter in the 40th Search and Rescue
Squadron at Koksijde Air Force Base. His heart goes to sailing and to his Club.
All 15 of our
pontoons are just a short walk to the clubhouse where we are proud to offer
clean, modern 24-hour/day facilities including laundry, ice, and
showers/toilets, plus much more.
24 hour per day self service diesel re-fueling is located
a few hundred meters from the Harbormasters pontoon.
In the mood for "haute cuisine" or a simple
meal, a visit to the club restaurant "De Vierboete" or the spacious
bar with its sun deck overlooking the picturesque harbor is a must.
Whatever your nautical needs, shops and ship chandlers
are all within easy walking distance.
If you require provisioning service we will
be happy to arrange it for you.
If you're in need of repairs we have a state of the art
(twenty-five ton capacity) lifts facility and provide very reasonable haul out
If you're tired of dragging a salad garden through the
sea, we offer a quick haul out and pressure cleaning in our new environmentally
friendly wash stand. We will also offer a safety check on your propeller, shaft,
and sacrificial anodes while we're at it.
If your needs are more extensive we can provide dry land
storage/parking in our new patented "Force Twelve" yacht cradles while
highly trained technicians from the local area make any necessary repairs or
upgrades to your boat.
Nieuwpoort and its surroundings have a lot to offer the
short-term visitor or longer-term vacationer. Our beautiful white sandy beaches
with lots of shops and local restaurants and taverns are only a short tram ride
away in Nieuwpoort Town and Bad.
The clean efficient Belgian tram system runs a regular
and frequent schedule connecting the cities and towns along the Belgian coast
from France to Holland.
With a convenient train connection in Ostend you can
visit the beautifully preserved and maintained Medieval City of Bruges or
continue on to Gent and Brussels and the entire country opens for your pleasure
- The WSKLuM was founded in 1958 as an
entity of the Belgian Air Force Sports Association. For more than a quarter
of a century it was part of the Search and Rescue (SAR) complex of the
Belgian Air Force.
- When a new boat harbor Novus Portus was
created in Nieuwpoort, The Belgian Air Force Nautical Association was
provided a portion of that harbor for its use.
- The club was obligated to move from its
old facilities on the south side of the harbor and build a new club house
and facilities on the Northern side of the
- Thanks to the understanding and
assistance of all agencies concerned, Civilian as well as military, the
corner stone was laid on the 27th of April 1985 by the Mayor of
Nieuwpoort (Monsieur le Senateur G. Mommerency).
- The new Club House and facilities were
dedicated on the 26th of September 1986 by Lieutenant General J.
Lefebvre, Chief of Staff of the Belgian Air Force and Major General Robijns
de Schneidauer, President of the Belgian Air Force Sports Association.
- The WSKLuM presently has more than 500 families registered with a total
membership of 1500.
- Retired Lt. Gen. Marcel Terrasson has
been the club president since 1982. Retired
Aviation Commandant Max De Baere has been the club secretary since 1984. The
Treasurer is Colonel Eric De Clercq and the Regatta Organizer is Commandant
- Organization of national and international regattas
- Organization of rally's
- Organization of social club activities
- Sailing school: initiation theoretical and practical
- Weather: daily updated three day weather forecast for
- Notices to mariners
Infrastructure and facilities
- 470 berths, catways, water and electricity
- Visitors pontoon
- Camera surveillance and access control with magnetic badge.
- Club office, classroom (20 pl), conference room (60 pl).
- Clubhouse "De Vierboete", restaurant, bar.
- Toilets, showers, laundry
- Car park
- Boat parks, 220 cradles, 24/24 access with magnetic card,
water and electricity
- Wise 25 Ton boatlift
- Mast crane
- Environmentally friendly boat wash stand - high pressure
- Trash containers, oil bins
- Bike rental
- Playground for children
- Tug boat, floating crane
- Clubyachts: Luctor
- Club competition boats: Ares (First Class 8